The foundation of Stephen Ministry is to assist all God’s people in transformative healing and growth.
Download and print the Brochure about the First Congregational Church Stephen Ministry.
What Is Stephen Ministry?
Our congregation’s Stephen Ministry equips lay-people to provide one-to-one Christian care to people in our congregation and community who are experiencing difficulties in their lives.
Stephen Ministry is a confidential ministry. The identity of those receiving care and everything they discuss with a Stephen Minister remain private.
A Stephen Minister Is ...
• A child of God who walks beside some one who is in need of
emotional and spiritual support.
• A congregation member who is carefully selected to serve in this
role because of his or her care giving gifts.
• A layperson with 50 hours of training in providing high-quality,
distinctively Christian care.
• A caring Christian friend who listens, cares, prays, supports, and
• Someone who meets faithfully each week with his or her care
receiver for as long as there is a need.
Stephen Ministers Care for People Facing Tough Times
We all experience challenges in life—times when we could benefit from care and support. Stephen Ministers can provide the emotional and spiritual care we need when faced with a crisis or difficulty such as –
• Loss of a loved one
• Divorce or separation
• Loneliness or discouragement
• Spiritual crisis
• Unemployment or a job crisis
• A terminal illness
• Birth, adoption, miscarriage,
• A chronic illness
• Recovery after an accident or
• Many other life challenges